From: "oakdorf" <oakd...@yahoo.com>
Sender: AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com
Date: Thu, 03 Mar 2011 21:52:01
To: <AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [AsburyPark] Re: Check out School board considers closing Asbury Park
school

...how to solve the problem?

Your last paragraph was excellent.

Start reducing funding for Abbott Districts. Kind of like what Christie wants
to do.

when taxpayers that live in a town pay taxes on their school, maybe things
would change.

I'd guess that if you figured it out, more renters then property owners send
children to school in AP. Just a guess.

So what does that have to do with it?

A tenant doesn't really see their property tax bill and how it's broken out -
school, muni, county etc. A tenant "just pays rent".  The landlord gets to look
at the tax bill and hope that with a mortgage, insurance and upkeep that the
rent (that seems high to the tenant) covers the nut.

And another guess is that most landowners in AP never really saw a real tax
bill - that is one where you pay 93% of the cost of operating your schools -
not 7% of the costs.