Sent: Monday, January 02, 2006 3:12 PM
Subject: [Assam] Upaai Nai Culture - Sentinel

Now, here is something from today's Sentinel, The 'Upaai Nai culture'. Unlike the 'hobo diok culture' this one indicates that people have just about given up on getting anything solved. Ain't it great to see people take things in their stride?

The Upaai Nai Culture

In this column the other day, we talked about the "me first" syndrome in our society. Another ugly aspect is the upaai nai culture prevalent today. Upaai nai ! One would say so any time, anywhere in Assam. No way out? It is as if we have already surrendered our conscience and sense of dignity to 'uncontrollable' forces. There is no wonder then that there are so many callous souls here who would shamelessly say upaai nai when it comes to an issue as serious as that of illegal Bangladeshi immigrants! These souls do not want to work because they feel that all their work is meant for the illegal work-force. This apart, when it comes to traffic snarls, they would again say upaai nai. It is as if we have become so rich as to have any number of vehicles on the road, and as if our traffic 'experts' too should have their own share of upaai nai. As to the concrete jungle that Guwahati has become, it is again upaai nai. They would have us believe that the concrete jungle is so natural, given that there is such urbanization. And when it comes to random repairing of roads and the drain mud that floods as every summer, they would still say upaai nai; after all, the PWD must also have its own share of upaai nai. All this reflects just one thing: what a decadent culture we have helped create!