From: Malabika Brahma <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Malabika Brahma < [EMAIL PROTECTED]>; Ram Sarangapani
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: assam@assamnet.org
Sent: Tue, 10 Jan 2006 03:01:42 +0000 (GMT)
Subject: Re: [Assam] What prevents India from holding a plesbicite

What I typed

  >> A nation can be mature only as much as its population will allow
it. Don't you think?

The nation can also me only as much mature as the framework will allow
it.

What I meant was

  The nation can also be only as much mature as the framework will
allow it.

Malabika Brahma <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
  Ram da,

>>That would be the easy part (thinking about it) - but the tougher
part would to hold >>one at all. Whether its Kashmir or Assam, it is
next to impossible to hold one.

But peace itself has been elusive and almost impossible to achive in
Kashmir and Assam for last 27 years, isn't it?

I think more than "impossible", it is the question of gathering the
required courage.

>> A nation can be mature only as much as its population will allow
it. Don't you think?

The nation can also me only as much mature as the framework will allow
it.

Ram Sarangapani <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:  Hi there Utpal,

No, I don't think I am right all the time -and am sure others think
likewise.

  >There is easy way to find out. Hold a plesbicite under a free
neutral environment and avoid all >bloodshed.

That would be the easy part (thinking about it) - but the tougher part
would to hold one at all. Whether its Kashmir or Assam, it is next to
impossible to hold one.

Why do I say this: Whichever side looses, they are going to claim
there was widespread intimidation etc, etc. Yes, one could say - get
those international observers (Jimmy Carter) to observe. But that is
very unlikely. India will never submit to that (claiming sovereignty
issues).

Add to the equation, that many feel that Assam is filled up with
illegal Bangladeshis (and maybe even ISI agents). The question that
comes to mind is, if thats the situation (like Pakistanis in Kashmir),
why would we ever want to go for a plebicite of a population that would
want to merge with B'desh or Pakistan?

About a plebicite being bloodless - I seriously doubt if that will be
be the turn of events.

  >I hope someday the nation called India will be matured enough to
incorporate the "instrument of >seccession" in the constitution.

A nation can be mature only as much as its population will allow it.
Don't you think?

--Ram da

On 1/9/06, Malabika Brahma <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Chandan da thinks he is right. So does Rajen da or Ram da or Mike da or
my self. May be we all are right or may be not. It does not matter what
I or you feel (the elites of Assam) , what really matters is what the
people of Assam feel. May be most of the people in Assam want
seperation from India or may be they don't.

There is easy way to find out. Hold a plesbicite under a free neutral
environment and avoid all bloodshed.

But somehow I think the present form of GOI does not have the moral
courage to face the free and fair ballot that would decide the fate of
Assam or NE for that matter. Also the question is whether
pro-independence groups of NE have the moral courage face the same.

I hope someday the nation called India will be matured enough to
incorporate the "instrument of seccession" in the constitution.

Utpal Brahma
--------
Yahoo! Cars NEW - sell your car and browse thousands of new and used
cars online search now  --------

--------
Yahoo! Messenger NEW - crystal clear PC to PC calling worldwide with

--------
Does your mail provider give you FREE antivirus protection?
Get Yahoo! Mail