From: Barua25
Sent: Thursday, March 09, 2006 10:52 PM
Subject: Re: deshatkoi momai dangar nohoi

Dear Himenda:
Thanks for your response. Glad to know that the book was a part of your course.
Regarding the historical data of the story, I think you need to have some back up. Because it is such a horrifying story, it may give the people a completely different picture about Islam. The actual reality however may be quite different. The reason I am saying this is because there is also a opposite side of the story. According to one theory, the religion that suffered most during the Islamic invasion was mainly Buddhism. Buddhism was an organised religion without any defense which was completely wiped out. Hinduism survived under the caste system. Many Brhamins helped and aided the Islamic rulers in the destruction of Buddhism. Many Buddhist temples overnite become Shiva temples etc. Also  the theory says that there was actually no forced conversion at all from Hindus to Islam. That is why one donot find any high caste Hindus being Muslim. All that conversion that happened were the low caste Hindus and they converted themselves to Islam mainly because of the equality that they gained under Islam and to avoid the exploitation from upper caste Hindus.  Today one finds the whole of Bangladesh a Islamic country which were at one time wholly a Buddhist country. There were hardly any Brahmin or any high caste Hindus in Bagladesh. In fact the exploited downtrodden Hindus were taking shelters from exploitation from Hindus upper caste in those three shelter religions: namely Buddhism, Islam and Christianity.

On the other hand I have heard story of enmass village conversion to Islam not by force from Islam but due to rejection from the Hindus. There story appeared in Prantik magazine in Assam, a Brahmin village in Assam was converted to Islam because somebody has thrown beef in the village well, and Hindus have refused to accept the village back as Hindus. The village finally had to take to Islam, The Sharmas started to write Ahmed overnite etc.

So there may be many sides of the coin, and one need to be careful in making any general statement before checking the facts.
Thanks
Rajen