<<Whoever is spared personal pain must feel himself called to help in diminishing the pain of others. We must all carry our share of the misery which lies upon the world." -- Albert Schweitzer

So also all NRA's- unaffected by the total hopelessness of the Indian Colonial misrule of Oxom.

Do something-- Unitedly!

mm

From:  "Ram Sarangapani" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To:  "Chan Mahanta" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
CC:  assam@assamnet.org
Subject:  Re: [Assam] [asom] Assamese Fears and Saviours
Date:  Fri, 24 Nov 2006 15:01:51 -0600

C'da,

>>Assam contracts are often given to 'non-Assamese' contractors for several >reasons.

>*** That is NOT the issue.

Why so?  Don't we need to know why Assam is forced to look elsewhere for contractors?

>The issue is HOW they get them.

Companies like Larsen & Tubro or any of the big-wigs in India go thru the same process of bidding in every state.
They also have competition (amongst themselves). They also are willing to pay under the table if required to acquire a contract.

The question comes up: Are there vulnerable Axomia chief enggs? The problem in Assam in particular is a little different.
It is highly possible for a project not done at all but the allocated money (as much as possible) eaten up.

I still go back to basics - if all the controls are with the Assamese, why do we fall back into forgiving ourselves
- not our fault, but it is the fault of those corrupt Larsen or Brakes India guys. We were forced to take that bribe (it was just too much to resist).

> If they get them thru the sheer power of the legendary Indian >meritocracy, then "--few Axomiya officers--" , much less the >entire Oxomiya jaati -- would not get to keep that 40 of the 60/40 >arrangement, and would not rile the likes of Sandip Dutta or >yourself, would it?

>*** Finally, what is the origin of the 30/70, changed to 40/60, and now probably running at 50/50 ? Is it also an uniquely >Oxomiya invention ?

You are right, they probably work with a 30/70 rate (in Assam, 70 being the "take" or cost of doing buisiness).
Years ago, I read this report: It listed Assam as being the most expensive state to trade. That is one reason, the prices are higher (and service qualities the lowest possible).
No, the Oxomiyas did not invent these ratios - but looks like they have perfected it. I have heard, in many projects, 0/100.
That is absolutely nothing gets done (everything is done in the paperwork though)

>>The solution is for Assamese themselves to want a change, they must be able to >define corruption as something that is >>detrimental to the state, and not >something that just happens. The solution lies firmly with the Assamese with >not wanting >>to tolerate anything that will hurt their state.

>*** You disappoint me so Ram! Is this any answer ? Even an utterly 'hwja', /bhwda',  'dhwdor-posola', 'ignorant villager' could do >better than that :-).

C'da - if the Assamese themselves do not want it and they put forward the 'upai nai', 'ki nu korim' or 'kopal ot ji likha' solutions for all these, thenall they have done is give their blessings to corrupt practices all over Assam. They have made it a norm

--Ram

Want to improve your lifestyle? Get Mickey Mehta’s advice on holistic living