Hi K:

>C'da your comments on this will be highly appreciated
--- first because it was designed by some Very Bright
and Very Creative American Engineer whose Math
>foundation is very strong (unlike some Desi idiot)

*** I was hoping to be able to answer your question intelligently. But the
premise of your questions left me completely bewildered.

        Did *I* make those assertions about the qualifications or even implied
them about who
        might have designed the bridge, or how good they were in math? How do
you know who
        designed it? What if it was designed by some very creative East
Pakistani structural engineer
        trained at BE college, like Fazlur Khan, who developed the structural
system for the
        Sears Towers? What then?

I thought you are an engineer. But  from the comments you make and the
questions you ask, I must have been wrong.  Anyway, a bridge's integrity is not
the function of just its design alone. The math skills of the designer hardly
enter the equation.  Most structural elements fail not because of design, but
for a variety of other factors, most notably due to poor construction practices
, which is a result of incompetent management, human failures, sometimes
corruption--as in India, and sometimes just because of the laws of probability
playing out: if something could go wrong, it would, sooner or later.

The Boston Tunnel concrete panel failures were  determined to be a result of
using quick-setting epoxy bolts, instead of the specified standard setting
epoxy, which develop their full strength slowly, over about 48 hours, but
remain strong thereafter. On the other hand the quick setting epoxy develops
strength within minutes, but do not retain it over time. Investigators found,
that the right material was ordered by the installers, but was furnished the
wrong product by the supplier . It appears as though someone in the shipping
warehouse packed the wrong stuff.  Here it is a case of a human failure, that
no amount engineering acumen or management expertise could have prevented.

The Minneapolis failure seems to have been precipitated by huge amounts of dead
weight piled on the bridge deck from rock sent for the repairs. This is a
management failure.  Whoever was overseeing the
logistics of the material delivery either did not have any knowledge of
structures and load bearing capacity of a structure or was asleep at the wheel.

There could be other factors: Such as non-inclusion of the redundancy principle
of design. This was a political issue, of managing the cost and funding.  Or
defective welding. Fifty years back welding technology was not as sophisticated
as it is today. Today we have ultrasonic testing done, before
welded structural members of critical components. In my last major project, I
had to reject a number of large span bowstring trusses, which were shop welded,
but installed without ultrasonic testing.  The installers installed the
trusses, but when asked for certificates of testing, could not produce them. On
site testing showed that a number of joints were unacceptable. The result was a
very expensive on site correction of the joints that cost the steel fabricators
big time. By the end of the job, the fabricator was going out of business.
Apparently it had other problems elsewhere as well. They got our job, because
they were the lowest bidders, and not necessarily because they were also good
fabricators. The public bidding requirements in this case was a contributing
factor-- by allowing a fabricator of questionable skills or management
abilities to get the work.

The point I am trying to make here is that DESIGN is only a small factor in
these cases. At any event, MOST structural design is not a result of creative
engineering: they are dictated by standards and codes
and budgets. Most day-to-day structural engineering in the USA is done not by
highly skilled engineers, but by 'designers', who are vocational tech. school
graduates with high school degrees, who are familiar with codes and standards
and know how to look up standard tables and size structural elements.

Us vs India:

*** Can these be compared? Not if anyone is even remotely familiar with the
issues. An Indian structural engineer could be a math genius and could mentally
analyze the stress of a rocket ships nose cone at re-entry. But its usefulness
in the Indian context is zip, zero, nada.

An IIT PhD in structural engineering  could design US skyscrapers with ease,
but won't be able to design a temporary bridge using bamboo and timber if their
life depended on it. Why? Because the building materials, their quality
standards and installed elements' quality can be and are tested and trustworthy
in the USA. But the quality of a welded joint or the strength of on-site,
hand-mixed batches of concrete  in India cannot be.  So this engineering whiz
from IIT will be stumped, wouldn't know what to do.  The experienced but
uneducated Bihari cement-mistry would know more than the PhD engineer, who is
even further handicapped because his training is entirely academic, without a
sense of how various materials behave under different circumstances. He is a
babe in the woods in the absence of strength tables of materials, because he
never has had the exposure to the real world.

Checks and Balances:

*** Again, there is no way to compare this for India vs USA.  India's
circumstances are far different from the USA's.  But the bottom line could be
gauged by the  PERCENTAGE of failures, or the frequency of it. Like how many
American bridges fail out of how many, compared to in India.

I hope that helps.

c-da

At 4:01 PM -0700 8/2/07, Krishnendu Chakraborty wrote:
Bridge 'structurally deficient'

Engineers spotted structural problems in the bridge as
far back as 1990, but state officials thought patches
and yearly inspections would be enough to keep it
together, Minnesota's top bridge engineer said. This
year's inspection started in June and would have been
finished in September after $2.4 million worth of
maintenance on the deck, joints, guardrails and
lights.

-------

C'da your comments on this will be highly appreciated
--- first because it was designed by some Very Bright
and Very Creative American Engineer whose Math
foundation is very strong (unlike some Desi idiot) and
second,  the "chacks and balances"  seems to have
failed  and third because it is your field of
expertise.

=== message truncated ===