<even Chinese are now learning English bigtime.>

Not My Physical Experience at Beijing,Shanghai,Hangzhou and the Yangtze Delta's
booming Industrial Centres-- in last 2 years.

You do NOT need English(or smatterings by rickshaw wallahs) for Progress!
Mother-tongue is OK.

You do need EFFECTIVE leadership.India lacks/lacked THAT.

 Bengal Democracy-this link-is not sure about  Bangla/Hindi/English except that
they want all the best from all fronts.

mm> Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2007 18:30:11 -0700> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]> To:
assam@assamnet.org> Subject: [Assam] Book review : India After Gandhi- Bengal
democracy> > Rajenda,> What you mean is had Indians been anihilated by> British
then English could have been considered as a> Native Language for India ! > > I
have no qualms if you consider English as a> foreign/Indian language whatsover
but to say that> India is united just because of English is an absurd> logic.>
As far as absorption goes, in current world it is a> universal phenomenon ...
even Chinese are now learning> English bigtime.> > > > America was founded by
the Europeans. When they came> > they brought not only > > the European
languages but also the European> > religions and cultures. Thus > >
Christianity as well as Englsih and all other> > European languages are brought
> > from Europe which make the big Western culture now.> > Red Indian culture
has > > been wiped out for all practical purposes. Thus it> > is irrelevant to
say that > > English language and Christianity are foreign to> > America.
Because these were > > there from day one of American modern history. In> >
America it is the mother > > tongue of the huge majority population. It is
true> > that in America both > > Christianity as well as the English language
had> > undergone much change. It > > is often said that America and England are
two> > countries separated by one > > language.> > > > In case of India, it is
a different ball game. The> > English people did not > > establish the Indian
culture. A foreign language,> > English, was given to the > > Indians only
about a hundred years ago. No Indians> > had any roots in English > > language.
The British left but the Indians stuck to> > their language and many > > other
English items (like Cricket, Democracy, our> > dress, educational > >
institutions, civic laws etc). It is true that we> > are trying our best to > >
Indianise the language so much so that it is often> > called Hindlish and not >
> English. Even now there is a strong section of> > Indians who are opposed to
> > Hindlish. (as well as the others). Even now English> > is considered a
foreign > > language by a strong section of the Indian> > population. I would
say in > > another hundred years probably Hindlish will> > penetrate more to
the Indian > > culture. But I donot think it will ever go the> > Indian lower
class; it will > > remain a middle class language of communication. It> > is
probably now 20/30% > > Indians who speak Hindlish. May be in another> >
hundred years, it will be > > 30/40% may be. But it will never be the mother> >
tongue of any sizable section > > of Indians.> > > > The very fact that you,
Ram and others feel offended> > when I point out, like > > a sizable section of
Indians, that English is a> > foreign language goes to > > prove how much we
Indians depend on Hindlish, how we> > Indians love Hindlish. > > Probably Ram
and you are right. Probably, we can say> > of Hindlish, like the > > game of
Cricket, is an Indian item. But we should be> > ready to admit that > > these
are imported items given to us by the British.> > We should feel bad > > about
it.> > > > In fact one great quality of us the Indians, unlike> > the Chinese,
is the > > quality to absorb foreign things like sponge absorbs> > water.> > In
the ancient times also, we absorbed many foreign> > elements, like idol > >
worship, astrology etc.> > Rajen Barua> > > > ----- Original Message ----- > >