Nationalism is a thing of the past. (Also because in the hands of irresponsible
people it quickly turns to fascism which cannot find support from a follower of
democratic behaviour) I support Dilip Da on this. He believes in no national
boundaries, that's what he declared, if I read him right.
But, when the world economy is getting integrated, the issues and concerns
affecting mankind are becoming more and more global, the politics of war is
more or less evenly distributed across the globe, interracial marriages are
leading to evolution of more and more people who cannot be thrown into an
anachronistic type-cast-nation-type, English is establishing its hegemony all
over, the writing is surely on the wall that time for exit of dormouse NATION
concept and associated sentimentality have come, paving way for the global man
with flavors from his point of origin and passage.
Then, why these clamors for a separate country, separate state, separate
district, separate council are in fact not going down proportional to present
and clear movement towards integration?
Or, is the new promise of integration is innately an eye wash which is
antithesis to KJD's rightful  dream of " even as single members of the unit
sustain cultural differences-- on an individual basis  " Else how these two
opposites are manifesting with equal vigor, if we do not put on blinkers to our
day to day predicament world-wide. There's an all pervasive 'fear' and
'distrust'; which should not have been discernible if the trend is
predominantly towards integration.
I shall be obliged if someone give some pointers on this. kamal deka kjit.deka
at gmail.com
Sat Aug 14 04:27:34 IST 2010Previous message: [Assam] The autonomy issueNext
subject ] [ author ]Hello Dhrubajyoti,
I  do agree with you on this.I want to see an united Assam where
diversity should sparkle in unity.

In my opinion,multiculturalism is the antithesis of nationalism; it
highlights the differences between peoples while ignoring the
similarities whereas nationalism, on the other hand, highlights the
similarities between peoples while obscuring the differences. It seeks
to "melt" everybody into one unit, which, as a whole, reveres the
state, even as single members of the unit sustain cultural differences
-- on an individual basis.

K J Deka

Uttam Kumar Borthakur