In a land of diversity, when a person of a majority community -- not
necessarily in terms of religion -- is told that another's culture is
very different from his and thus must be "protected" at all costs, the
minorities are automatically regarded as "them." And when that
"protection" impinges on the rights of the majority, the minorities
come to be seen as the "enemy." This is simply human nature, not in
any government's control. However, resentments simmer and, at a time
of crisis, quickly turn into acts of violence. Which acts, of course,
are controllable by the law of the land. But my question is: Why
create a divisive ethos in the first place??

 That "individual basis" is what true secularism is all about.
Secularism exists when the State does not espouse a religion; lets its
citizens follow their different faiths even while preventing any one
from intruding on the others; and treats all religions equally --
regardless of the number of people following each religion. Meaning,
whether the majority or the minority community, one rule applies to
all. "Special-interest groups" does not make for national unity and
never will -- only assimilation can.Unless we achieve this goal,it
will be a wild goose chase to think of those lofty ideals like " One
Global village" or " World without boundaries"

KJD