Here's my attempt at answering the questions:

The South is better disciplined not just in Medical or
engineering education, it is better disciplined
overall. Incidentally, Manipal is not a government
institution - it is private, developed by private
initiative and that too by members of a community (the
GSBs of Karnataka) that do not have too much political
power in the state.

The South took the stability in their communities,
harnessed it for progress and took advantage of the
opportunities that India has thrown up in the last
decade and a half. They were doing it and progressing
despite the disadvantages in the federal power
structure. Their LOCAL politicians and rest of the
LOCAL leadership were rising above the morass and
doing constructive work. The north or the Hindi wallas
were still wallowing in their feudal structure and the
shibboleths of a few decades back.

So despite the supposed imperialistic outlook of
"Hastinapur" and despite the disadvantages of being in
the wrong side of power structure, communities in the
South have done well. The Indian system works for
them. And despite the power structure being with the
Hindi wallas, the Indian system does not work for
them.

What it means is that the Indian system works just
fine. If it is made to work. It has been demonstrated
in the last 15 years.

Which begets the question that has been asked
repeatedly and never answered: Why is it the South can
do it with the current system and the north east has
not been able to?

For apologists of separatism I can understand why they
would not want to answer the question. There would not
be an evil empire to blame for all our ills.

After 40 years of independence, a certain dynamism has
pervaded India (or parts of it) - never mind some
rants on this board about how India just needs a whiff
of thin air to break apart and crumble. For 50 years
before independence and a few decades thereafter, the
dynamism was in the north primarily based around the
fight for independence and the resultant euphoria
amongst the masses. The south was disconnected. Which
is why in the federal structure the north has had a
stronger voice. Given that dynamism (and prosperity)
in this day and age is centered around the South, the
power structure will shift. We will probably see more
PMs from the south. And if you go by what Chandrababu
Naidu demanded when he was CM - he asked why Bihar
should get federal funds (much of which came from
states like his) when they continue to misuse it year
after year after year - it portends a future where the
South would seek and get its leadership role in the
federal structure that it has earned or it would seek
and get a change in the federal structure because they
have proven they can do better with their own funds.

Much of such changes in the federal polity will happen
on a constructive agenda fueled by a public's demand
for progress. Very little will come about with a
"destructive" agenda. For every community involved,
the interest is in keeping a single India - not
because waves of "in the air" patriotism will rush
over different parts - but because a single India
makes sense of progress and stability in these changed
times for all the involved people.