C'da

Haven't heard from you for a while.

>But surely also, it was nothing like what
> the desi-press apparently is making it out to be

In India the desi press (and many people) is always agog with news
from the West. Its always been 'Go West young man, go West'. Nothing
new there. That has always been the case.

As for the US press, the lack of coverage (except for papers like
NYT), the public is not interested in anything of this nature. What
coverage did the Japanese PM or the German Chancellor get during their
visits? Karzai of Afganistan actually got more coverage than the
Germans or the Japanese.

In all probability most of the country doesn't even know they exist
(forget about such state visits). The press in Europe may be
different, but in the US, cases like Terri Shaivo or Emily the
Hurricane  are more newsworthy, than mundane affairs of the state.

My sense is that the US media devotes very little space to
international news, and the public are truly not interested in such
things.

The author IMHO made the classic error of giving the US media and
public more credit than they ought to get for their coverage of
international news. Then he compounded that by writing an op-ed based
on such faulty assumptions.

Bottom line for India is getting into the nuclear club, and the
signing of 16 odd pacts with the US, news coverage not withstanding.
Thats the big plus as far as India is concerned.

--Ram