>Finding this historical visit gleaming across the top headlines
> of all major Indian papers online, I tried to look for similar shades in the
> US newspapers. Unfortunately, failing to find any headline even vaguely
> relevant to this event,

Totally untrue. Yesterday, the Karl Rove factor took over. It was
during the joint press conference (The PM the Bush) that a question
about Karl Rove came up

Both NYT and Wash. Post had the visit in headlines today. In the
Washington Post, this was today's headlines

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/07/18/AR2005071801646.html

Same with the NYT
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/07/19/politics/19prexy.html?hp&ex=1121832000&en=cbc39e2f9b87cdcc&ei=5094&partner=homepage

Not that it matters, but the author's gripe seems to have hinged on
the preimise that US media totally ignored the visit.