On 2013-10-21 16:31, John Gilmore wrote:
> PL/I was robbed of FIXEDOVERFLOW for binary fixed values.  It is still
> available for  PL/I decimal fixed, i.e., packed decimal values.

> This a is a pity, a disagreeable consequence of the fact that much
> PL/I implementation machinery is now shared with C; ...

Truly a pity because reporting fixed overflow is entirely compatible
with the ANSI specification of C.  I suspect some of the motivation
lies in LE library routines which carelessly generate fixed overflow,
smugly expecting it will be ignored, and which programmers lack the
ambition to correct.

Likewise, IBM's C some time ago made the invalid dereferencing of
NULL behave as a reference to "", in deference to pervasive misusage.

-- gil