From:   Tom Marchant <000000a69b48f3bb-dmarc-requ...@listserv.uga.edu>
To:     ASSEMBLER-LIST@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Date:   13/11/2014 16:07
Subject:        Re: Redesigning the Principles of Operation Manual
Sent by:        IBM Mainframe Assembler List
<ASSEMBLER-LIST@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>

On Thu, 13 Nov 2014 07:01:30 -0800, Phil Smith wrote:

>And it used to only be a couple of hundred pages or so.

The System/360 POO was about 200 pages, with only 143 instructions.
The System/370 POO was nearly 400. Now that we have about 1000
instructions, it is not surprising that it is 1500 pages long.

>Hey, I'd be happier if it just did a page eject before each instruction,
>and went to single-column format!

I wouldn't like either of these changes. My opinion is that they would add

significant white space to the manual that would not add to the
readability.
The instruction format diagrams for each instruction fit nicely into one
column and there would be no benefit in stretching it to be wider.
Likewise,
there are many other figures and illustrations that are only one column
wide.
Yes, I agree that scrolling up to the top of the second column is a bit of
nuisance. Not enough that I'd want to change it though.

--
Tom Marchant

Unless stated otherwise above:
741598.