On Thu, Oct 15, 2015 at 11:39 AM, Paul Gilmartin <
00000014e0e4a59b-dmarc-requ...@listserv.uga.edu> wrote:

> I suspect FORTRAN's 3-way IF was a reflection of a hardware instruction
> of the IBM 70* series (as was SIGNF()).  John Gilmore has lamented the
> lack of 3-way IF in more recent languages, requiring the programmer
> either to use a temp variable or to repeat a complicated expression
> in two successive IFs.  I believe that's what optimizing compilers
> are for.
>
> -- gil

​I had some "weird" assembler code which "optimized" something like that
long ago. I did a complicated series of test and ended with a CC for ==0 or
<0 or >0. I then used the IPM instruction to save the CC in a general
register. Later, I did an SPM in a number of places afterwards to restore
the CC before doing a branch.​

--

Schrodinger's backup: The condition of any backup is unknown until a
restore is attempted.

Yoda of Borg, we are. Futile, resistance is, yes. Assimilated, you will be.

Maranatha! <><
John McKown