From: "Seymour J Metz" <sme...@gmu.edu>
Sent: Monday, August 06, 2018 6:05 AM

We were all very conscious of "economy in all things programming" in those
days.

We? I've been programming since 1960, and I was never concerned with how much space the source code took.

Right, that was unimportant. And at 200 cards per minute, an extra source card
or two
made no difference whatever.

The important things were how quickly the code ran and how easy it was to maintain. There's economy and there's false economy.

A label would consume two lines of printout,

Not unless you had it on an extraneous DS 0H, EQU *, or equivalent, and even then an extra line on the listing was no big deal.

BTW, when I started 8-character labels would have sounded like Heaven; I was
used to
5-character labels and even the big powerful 7090 only had 6-character labels.

Ours were only 4 characters, with one alphabetic character, R000 to R127.

---