From: IBM Mainframe Assembler List [ASSEMBLER-LIST@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] on behalf
of Gary Weinhold [weinh...@dkl.com]
Sent: Monday, December 6, 2021 9:26 PM
To: ASSEMBLER-LIST@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: Is it possible to update CSA from an unauthorized user-key program?

Assuming you could accomplish your objective, which appears to be
user-key (8 or 9) storage updatable by any process running on the lpar,
it would appear that not only is the information stored there not
confidential, but its integrity is not important.  You have no
protection from any user-key program overlaying the storage with any
value it wishes, whether purposely or accidentally.  Even if you have a
plan to restrict access to obtaining the address of this shared storage,
accidental overlays could still occur, like buffer overruns.

a) In general, key 0 memory that is not fetch protected can be read by
any key 8 user
b) By definition, key 8 users cannot update key 0 memory.
c) Considering the restrictions, any value of key 0 to key 7 works for
the macro
d) That would break integrity rules.

One method for updating the storage is to encapsulate the update routine
in a PC or SVC, which includes a security check for whether the  caller
is authorized to update the value and determines the location of the
memory itself (not trusting the caller to supply it).

On 2021-12-06 7:13 p.m., Wendell Lovewell wrote:
> Hello Listers,
>
> I'd like to be able to update a common storage area across all CICS and batch
> regions.  I've looked at IARV64 REQUEST=GETCOMMON, but it seems that it
> requires supervisor state and/or key 0-7.
>
> It seems that something like issuing a STORAGE macro similar to:
>
> STORAGE OBTAIN LENGTH=32768,SP=241,KEY=x,LOC=31,OWNER=SYSTEM
>
> ...from an authorized program would allocate the storage needed.   But I
> don't know the rules for accessing it from "user-mode" (unauthorized, key 8)
> programs like a CICS application.
>
> a) Given the address of the storage obtained like that, can any user-mode
> program read that storage?
> b) Could a user-mode program update that storage?
> c) Should the KEY parameter be specified, and if so, what value should I use.
>  Afaik it has to be 0-7 since User-key CSA was outlawed.
> d) Am I correct that there isn't an IRAV64 option that will allow a user-mode
> program to update the storage?
>
> Thanks for your help!
>
> Wendell
>
> (Cross-posted to the CICS list.)

Gary Weinhold
Senior Application Architect
DATAKINETICS | Data Performance & Optimization
Phone:+1.613.523.5500 x216
Email: weinh...@dkl.com
Visit us online at
http://secure-web.cisco.com/1jTNrWh2-L-DdVmcDpFpeI7wgdzzdd1h1U1ulJ9pNAp-zUwZASDZTxDsYbiROBt1jvn-INbH9EtdCHuYfbssdCQYt4UgfkSGgQDCioCqJQnMZ3iJK4RuTJmn_e2s3mFYEoMUE6kfqIEiqGncABYs_Z07IYSVp1yVqFfwp-0S7bWIYMYP5f1EJWsT7CoWRYZFNTOCecvKDO21lwQRutvCZkvWQatToCQr8V9pKcDCT8lFJhe8BmI4Jw0h1iAMgVEfYknzmLe2g8rMd3ruI02_DfurRBE2ugtypVOmY4MMGXU5G9b9DxKrAGld5qCaTGXakNdVksFMdzRwbqWfpYQOPqszobbvR1E0N72ccIXHFgnRuBXb9bFI6sUAjM83ZbkEkWTeIMK5jclmDlxg8TYGyuTlB2dv39ozgaJzcJ7i7FPx3_jwGqkWaan7tlU_EGC8s/http%3A%2F%2Fwww.DKL.com
E-mail Notification: The information contained in this email and any
attachments is confidential and may be subject to copyright or other
intellectual property protection. If you are not the intended recipient, you
are not authorized to use or disclose this information, and we request that you
notify us by reply mail or telephone and delete the original message from your
mail system.