From: IBM Mainframe Assembler List [ASSEMBLER-LIST@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] on behalf
of Farley, Peter x23353 [00000dc9d8785c29-dmarc-requ...@listserv.uga.edu]
Sent: Tuesday, December 7, 2021 3:00 PM
To: ASSEMBLER-LIST@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: Is it possible to update CSA from an unauthorized user-key program?

Charles,

That is exactly the sort of thing I was imagining/hoping for.  And putting it
on CBT for all to use would be a great solution.  But not just "a nice macro to
front-end the PC" -- an LE-enabled prewritten subroutine which uses the "nice
macro" that any HLL can call without substantial effort, or any shop can update
to meet its particular needs.

My rant was based in part on the lack of any substantial practical example of
STC + PC interface code from any available source.  Similarly for a PC that
schedules an SRB in a client address space and other complex solutions to
application needs.  Many knowledgeable posters here and on IBM-MAIN have talked
about the details of doing such things but no one has ever provided a complete
example that works out of the box (after appropriate SAF authorizations are
done of course).

Coding such beasts with really good RAS and security is not for the
faint-hearted, I do realize that it is a substantial and non-trivial effort.

But the benefit would be wide and long-lasting.

Why not instead of just CBT (or in addition to) a git / github open-source
community effort, perhaps using the auspices of the open mainframe project?
Share the effort, share the results.

Peter