> the problem is that it does quite a bit more, so it's probably not
> cost-effective

Consider stripping out and productizing just this functionality. Elon Musk had
a company named X.com that was trying to develop software that would let you
transfer any asset to anyone else electronically. They struggled mightily; it's
a tough problem. Then they stripped out just the "transfer money" part, renamed
the company PayPal, and the rest is history.

Seriously, I know at least one other similar ISV success story like this.

Charles