On 5/4/24 22:36:27, Ed Jaffe wrote:
But we had a register equates macro that came to conflict with
IATYREGS when we added JES3 support.  Many JES3 headers used
IATYREGS conditioned on setting ofa GBLB.

All of the IATYxxxx macros have similar conditioning, thus allowing duplicate
(usually embedded) mapping macro invocations without assembler errors.
 .
By that time I was not an Assembler coder but a sympathetic spectator.

The product was a couple years old before we added JES3 support.

Our coding conventions required that each Assembler module COPY
a standard module prologue containing register equates, branch
around eyecatcher, etc.

We could remove the register equates and substitute IATYREGS but
we feared that might introduce conflicts with established non-JES3

Earlier, I had been  assigned to create a functional macro which
required some definitions: EQU, DSECT, ...  I coded that to
MEXIT immediately on repeated calls.  Then I went a step further:
I added a call to my definitions macro to my functional macro,
avoiding explicit prerequisites.

It worked but my co-workers were apoplectic to see definitions
appear in the midst of executable code.

That may have contributed to the brevity of my term a an
Assembler programmer.

--
gil