On 4/30/24 15:55:55, João Reginato wrote:
 .
The message “ASMA043E Previously defined Symbol” is always issued when an
already defined field is redefined, even if it is not referenced,

making the compiler end with error (return code 8).
 .
Does "the compiler" (which?) improperly generate duplicate labels
in source code it passes to the Assembler?  If so, it should be
reported as a bug in that compiler, not an RFE for the Assembler.

Or is it PEBKAC?

I see this situation as it was just a warning issue (with return code 4).

Is there a reason for this behavior?

Lurking Astonishment for a  programmer accustomed to tolerating RC=4
in ancient code who unwittingly adds a reference to one symbol,
unaware of a duplicate.

I once used a simple two-pass assembler (CDC) which apparently shared
much code between the two passes.  Pass 2 called the add symbol
routine the same as Pass 1.  No error was reported if the value to
be assigned was identical, so it would have tolerated:
    X  EQU  42
    X  EQU  42

The FORTRAN compiler cascaded source code to that assembler, and
missing labels were reported only by assembler messages.

--
gil