As I understand 802.3af, the phones go through a negotiation with the unit supplying the power. I don't think it's a matter of -48VDC on a particular pair. I remember a schematic from years ago--it had each of the receive pair and the transmit pair going into a transformer winding, and that winding had a center tap for PoE. This is not something that *I* am going to screw with.

The IP501 telephone set is the same for both PoE and local power. With the PoE cable, the 802.3af electronics (the negotiator) is a plastic thing in the cable. For the local power, there is a plastic thingie toward the wall end of the cable, and you plug the wall wart into the plastic thingie. <Notice the advanced technical jargon here>

With local power, there is still only one cable one the desk--the power plugs into the cable towards the wall. Except for a power interruption, this has all the advantages of PoE.

William M Conlon wrote:
I saw that Polycom offered a cable (not stocked anywhere), at $40 a pop for 802.3af connections. That's what made me think the phone itself is NOT 802.3af compliant.

Presumably, for $40, there's more than a fuse in that special cable.