Its almost the same as dialtone. Not needed but added for user ease and comfort.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Eric Wieling" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, October 29, 2004 12:23 PM
Subject: Re: [Asterisk-Users] Outbound IAX calls stop ringing remote phone,yet can still pick up

I don't know, but sweeping the problem under the rug with "r" is not a
solution except as a last resort.  Regardless of if he ends up using "r"
or not he needs to know what other problems "r" will cause.

What we really need is a console output of a call that happens with
(hopefully with a note where the ringback actually stops).

Steve Totaro wrote:
then what is REALLY the solution?

That will, of course HIDE any BUSY or telco messages.  And the caller
will never know of they dialed an invalid number or of the number they
dialed is busy.  Do you think he REALLY wants that?

Steve Totaro wrote:

add an r to the end to your dial statement

----- Original Message ----- From: "Stephen David" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Sent: Friday, October 29, 2004 12:06 PM Subject: [Asterisk-Users] Outbound IAX calls stop ringing remote phone,yet can still pick up

Greetings,

I've recently encountered some strange behavior placing outbound calls
using IAX via a VOIP provider.  Intermittently, calls placed will ring
the called phone a couple times, then the ringing stops.  However,
even after a few seconds of silence i can pick up the phone and the
call is connected.

I've tried this with two different VOIP providers (voicepulse and
nufone), and have experienced the behavior on both.

Any ideas?  I would've thought that the voip provider would be
responsible for generating the ring tones, but i'm not sure.