On Wed, 1 Jun 2005, Dustin Wildes wrote:
Adam Vocks wrote:
> In an order to save money, I would like to use a PRI that we have > going to one of our dial-up modem banks (We are an ISP.) During > business hours these channels are idle and during our peak internet > times, we are closed. Sounds too good to be true, but I thought I > would throw it out there. These are modem calls that if they would > call our modem bank number, they would be bridged to the outbound zap > channels??? And of course, if they dial our business number we would > send them to the appropriate sip channels. I didn?t know if this could > be done with two T1 cards and asterisk?
I've done the exact same thing.
We had a 23-channel PRI that a client was using for voice, but had a small IVR for their banking application that had direct analog lines pointed to it. I ordered an Adtran Total Access 750 and an additional T1 (T100P) card. The TA750 had 24 analog lines, with one T1 interface. The asterisk server had 2 T100Ps one card was for the PRI, the second was a cross-over to the Adtran 750. Works great, don't see why it wouldn't work for you in the same method you are talking about for a modem pool.

There is a better device if you have a PRI, an Adtran Atlas 550 is basically a full phone switch. You can put an entire dialplan on it to do router based on DID/DNIS. It will also do channelized T1 to PRI conversion each way. Very slick boxes, I'm about to set one up for another asterisk user to split 1 PRI to 12 pots lines for an older switch, 1 PRI for Asterisk, 1 channelized T1 for a modem bank, and some FXO ports for an older Brooktrout card. If anyone wants more info on them let me know.

--
Dave Weis             "I believe there are more instances of the abridgment
[EMAIL PROTECTED]   of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent