Chris Abnett wrote:
> I originally felt similarly to you as I thought it would be a real pain to
> build from sources and install..  however I found it very easy to build up a
> development linux box and build from sources... thus also allowing me to
> select the features I want in my system. Building a default system being
> what I did first back in January and then playing around a little from
> there.. but really to get myself up and running I did the following simple
> steps:
>
> 1] built up a fedora core 6 machine(i386 variant, astlinux devel crashes on
> x64), de-selecting all x-windows, no gnome, no KDE, and installing all
> development environments, legacy development, no web server, I did install
> FTP, SSHD, but no databases etc..
>
> 2] added a regular user using useradd and set him a password.
>
> 3] su user - this switches you over to your new non-root account
>
> 4] cd /usr/src
>
> 5] svn co https://astlinux.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/astlinux/trunk
> astlinux-trunk
>
> The devel environment will be downloaded into a directory
> /usr/src/astlinux-trunk
>
> 6] cd astlinux-trunk
>
> 7] cp astlinux.config .config
>
> That copies the default config file
>
> Now lets build our devel environment with all the defaults just to make sure
> this thing will work...

Not quite.  You can also nail down your Asterisk build options (not all
of them are through the project .config file):

$ cat >> ~/.asterisk.makeopts
MENUSELECT_CORE_SOUNDS=-CORE-SOUNDS-EN-GSM CORE-SOUNDS-EN-ULAW
MENUSELECT_MOH=MOH-FREEPLAY-ULAW
MENUSELECT_EXTRA_SOUNDS=
^D
$

Make sure this is in your home directory (or it won't be found).

> 8] make
>
> This begins the lengthy build process.. I have had this go real smooth
> except for on occasion the sha1sum files don't get downloaded correctly as
> the build occurs...  so if I see a compiler error 1 where it could not
> verify a package don't panic.. you get dropped back to your command line and
> you can simply create an sha1 file for that package by doing this:
>
> A} cd dl

Actually, if you look at the other dl/*.sha1 files, you'll see they
include "dl/..." as part of the pathname.  They are all computed
relative to the project root, not relative to "dl" as the working directory.

> B} sha1sum yourpackagehere-xx.xx.tar.gz > yourpackagehere-xx.xx.tar.gz.sha1

This should be:

sha1sum dl/yourpackagehere-xx.xx.tar.gz > dl/yourpackagehere-xx.xx.tar.gz.sha1

instead...

> The main thing with that command is that you take whatever package failed
> the make verify.. and make sure the filename you use as the output file is
> the same as the input file just add a .sha1 to the end of it
>
> C} cd ..

(not needed...)

> D} make
>
> This resumes the building of your astlinux...

Before you build anything, you also should do:

export ASTURW=auto
export ASTKD=

(or vice versa, depending on whether you want to use unionfs or not...)

You can also explicitly specify a target instead of "auto", such as
"/dev/hda2", etc.  Now instead of "make", do "make all runfs" instead...

> Once done you will have a directory called astlinux-trunk-xxxx this is where
> your new images are located.
>
> Not being sure which image you are running but assuming you are running on
> the newer runnix structure, loading up a new version couldn't be simpler...
> in my case my systems are not FULL production systems.. I am using the Neo
> Light (CV860a) boards for testing. And have a semi production system in my
> home.
>
> To load a new image you can power down, pull the flashcard out and drop it
> in your windows PC if you like...
> The 'os' directory will contain your images..  look at your existing
> astlinux-trunk-xxxx.run.conf file and simply change the version number in
> that file if you like. This way it will boot and run exactly the same as
> before...

Not quite.  All of the interesting stuff is in:

build_i586/runfs/os (which we built above with "make runfs"), and indeed
you can do the following:

# on the Astlinux box
mount -o remount,rw /oldroot/cdrom
pushd /oldroot/cdrom
mv os os.old

# on the build/devel host
tar -C build_i586/runfs -zcf - . | ssh pbx "tar -C /oldroot/cdrom -zxvf -"

# on the Astlinux box
reboot

(your old boot directory will be os.old... you can remove this after
rebooting -- after you do the mount/remount -- if everything looks
normal and functional... if not, you can restore it and boot back into
that.)

You can also do:

tar -C build_i586/runfs -zcf - os | ssh "pbx tar -C /oldroot/cdrom -zxvf -"

and only copy the contents of the "os" directory, if you don't need to
update syslinux.cfg file, etc.