Mark Phillips wrote:
> Are the system writes limited? Not if your system is actively doing
> voicemail etc and you have a pretty steady flow of calls coming and
> going. I get maybe 15-20 VM's a day and about 60 calls. My VM's produce
> 3 types of file as well as index's etc. When I delete the message at
> least 4 writes happen for a total of getting on for 300 writes a day.
> And that's just the ones I know about. What about my other system users?
>
> A CF card is only good for a few million writes.

1,000,000/300 = many more moons than either of us will be alive.  With
wear leveling, the same sector isn't being written to each write.  The
load is spread around.  You should get years of use out of a CF card the
way Astlinux is configured.  If you're paranoid, change the card once a
year.

> Before I get too committed to this line; I am right in thinking that the
> genunion is a replacement for the keydisk? If so then IMHO this is a
> step backwards.

You can use a keydisk AND unionfs partition if you so choose.  Nothing
stopping you from doing so.

> The ability to pull a working USB stick and shove it into a replacement
> PBX has more value that I can measure.

If you're paranoid, you'd be better off using rsync to copy the data on
a regular basis.  You don't seem to be concerned about writes to your
USB thumb drive.  That's going to fail well in advance of a good CF card.