Many thanks for your suggestions, Philip.

> Try right-clicking on physdiskwrite.exe and setting the compatibility
> mode to XP+SP3 (or just plain XP)...

That didn't help (nor did Win2000 mode etc). In fact, I can find no way at
all of formatting the blank partition in Vista, even using diskpart - it
just refuses because it's "removable media".

> Turn off flow-control (no xon/xoff, no rts/cts).

That didn't help either.

I suspect the unformatted secondary partition may be the problem. Can
anyone confirm that this must be done as a manual step to get astlinux
running on a 4801? I can't find any reference to this in any of the
documentation or mail archives. If so, it seems that using linux is the
only way to do it. I'll give it a try when I get a chance.

I'm suspicious that physdiskwrite created the first 128MB partition in
seconds under windows but DD took 15 mins under Ubuntu (same hardware).
Why would this be?

--
Phil McKerracher
www.mckerracher.net