On Mar 28, 2009, at 2:16 PM, Philip A. Prindeville wrote:

> Lonnie Abelbeck wrote:
>> On Mar 28, 2009, at 1:47 AM, Philip A. Prindeville wrote:
>>

>>> Anyone else having issues with their clocks not going into Daylight
>>> Savings Time?
>>>
>>> All of my Astlinux boxes (all running trunk) show the time as MST or
>>> PST, even the ones with the new 2009d data and codes.
>>>
>>> Strange.
>>>
>>> -Philip
>>>

>> With uClibc both the TIMEZONE and TZ_TIMEZONE variables must be set
>> properly.
>>
>> The TZ_TIMEZONE variable sets the System time offset, and the
>> TIMEZONE
>> variable sets the asterisk time offset.
>>
>> So, for me in Omaha...
>>
>> pbx ~ # cat /etc/TZ
>> CST6CDT
>> pbx ~ # date
>> Sat Mar 28 05:48:56 CST 2009
>>
>> Which is wrong, but if I set the TZ_TIMEZONE variable:
>> TZ_TIMEZONE="CST6CDT,M3.2.0/2,M11.1.0/2"
>>
>> pbx ~ # cat /etc/TZ
>> CST6CDT,M3.2.0/2,M11.1.0/2
>> pbx ~ # date
>> Sat Mar 28 06:49:32 CDT 2009
>>
>> Which is correct.
>>
>> Lonnie
>>

> I have my $TZ_TIMEZONE set:
>
> TZ_TIMEZONE="MST7MDT"
>
> The actual start and stop dates should be coming out of zoneinfo:
>
> [phil...@builder ~/trunk2]$ cat -v /usr/share/zoneinfo/US/Mountain |
> tail -1
> MST7MDT,M3.2.0,M11.1.0
> [phil...@builder ~/trunk2]$
>
> why is this not happening?
>
> More to the point, why, given a correct TIMEZONE variable, can we not
> figure out what TZ_TIMEZONE should be set to and set it?
>
> -Philip

Interesting,

pbx ~ # tail -1 /usr/share/zoneinfo/America/Chicago
CST6CDT,M3.2.0,M11.1.0

Has this string always been in the zoneinfo data file?  I recall
looking several years ago and not finding a simple solution to the
dual time offset settings.

It is still good to be able to override any automatic setting, so the
politician's whims won't necessarily require a firmware upgrade.