Lonnie Abelbeck wrote:
> On Mar 28, 2009, at 2:46 PM, Lonnie Abelbeck wrote:
>

>> On Mar 28, 2009, at 2:16 PM, Philip A. Prindeville wrote:
>>

>>> I have my $TZ_TIMEZONE set:
>>>
>>> TZ_TIMEZONE="MST7MDT"
>>>
>>> The actual start and stop dates should be coming out of zoneinfo:
>>>
>>> [phil...@builder ~/trunk2]$ cat -v /usr/share/zoneinfo/US/Mountain |
>>> tail -1
>>> MST7MDT,M3.2.0,M11.1.0
>>> [phil...@builder ~/trunk2]$
>>>
>>> why is this not happening?
>>>
>>> More to the point, why, given a correct TIMEZONE variable, can we not
>>> figure out what TZ_TIMEZONE should be set to and set it?
>>>
>>> -Philip
>>>
>> Interesting,
>>
>> pbx ~ # tail -1 /usr/share/zoneinfo/America/Chicago
>> CST6CDT,M3.2.0,M11.1.0
>>
>> Has this string always been in the zoneinfo data file?  I recall
>> looking several years ago and not finding a simple solution to the
>> dual time offset settings.
>>
>> It is still good to be able to override any automatic setting, so the
>> politician's whims won't necessarily require a firmware upgrade.
>>
>> Lonnie
>>

> (This should probably be in the DEV list, but we are already here)
>
> I took a look at the TZ list archive.  The idea to include "newline-
> enclosed POSIX-style time zone string at the end of the file when
> possible" was introduced in mid-2005, I don't know when it was
> official. (see below)
>
> There is some controversy using "tail -n 1" on a binary file (and
> BusyBox does not support cat -v), but it appears to work in AstLinux.
>
> Lonnie
>
> ------------
>  From ols...@lecserver.nci.nih.gov Thu Jun 30 10:59:52 2005
> Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 10:59:52 -0400 (EDT)
> From: Arthur David Olson <ols...@lecserver.nci.nih.gov>
> Subject: yet another try at 64-bit changes
>
> Below find the next try at 64-bit changes.
> As before, zic writes a second instance of headers and data to time
> zone files;
> the second instance has eight-byte transition times to cover far-future
> (and far past) cases. Zic also puts a newline-enclosed POSIX-style
> time zone
> string at the end of the file when possible (or, when a zone can't be
> represented using POSIX, puts a newline-enclode empty string at the
> end of the
> file). (Enclosing the string in newlines makes for meaningful output
> from the
> "tail -1" command applied to time zone files.) When a POSIX-style
> string is
> available, zic does *not* write 400 years worth of data.
>
> The files that don't have a POSIX string at the end are:
>       America/Godthab
>       America/Santiago
>       Antarctica/Palmer
>       Asia/Tehran
>       Asia/Jerusalem
>       Asia/Tel_Aviv
>       Chile/Continental
>       Chile/EasterIsland
> [...]

Yeah, I wasn't suggesting that we actually do use tail -1...  that's not
how the file was designed to be used.

There is a way to dump out the /etc/localtime file and extract certain
fields from it...  I just don't remember what it is (and I don't think
we include the tool that does this, alas).

-Philip