Hey Everyone,

I'm new to the mailing list, and had a question that hopefully someone can
help me with. I'm using the beta version of Astlinux 0.7, and am trying to
setup nfsd to export a share. Basically, I want to try to get the box to be
a NAS server of sorts. I have a USB drive attached and it's mounted on
/mnt/usb. I actually ran into issues getting it to automount on reboots.
Reading other messages on this list I found the only successful way to get
this to work was by appending a mount command to the end of /etc/rc. Any
other method, via fstab or mouting it in /etc/rc with the rest of the
filesystem, failed. But that problem has been solved. My only remaing issue
is getting nfsd working properly.
I ran into a few problems even figuring out how to get nfsd started. I found
that I had to load it as a kernel module, as there was no userspace nfsd. In
fact, I don't see anything in the filesystem for nfs outside of a kernel
module, and an invalid init.d script. I say invalid because /etc/init.d/nfsd
uses nfsd,mountd,lockd and portmap to start, but those are not present in
the filesystem. I didn't see any nfs-kernel-server start-up script. I setup
the variables for rc.conf in /mnt/kd/rc.conf.d/nfs.conf for:

NFS_EXPORTS_RW="/mnt/usb"
NFS_EXPORTS_RO="/mnt/kd"

(the usb one being the one I care about, and adding the kd one since it
wasn't working without a RO line and I thought maybe it needed one too?)
and this appends to /etc/rc.conf as well as creating the /etc/exports file
with:

/mnt/kd    172.20.0.0/24(ro,no_root_squash,sync)
/mnt/usb        172.20.0.0/24(rw,no_root_squash,sync)

in it. So far so good. However, nothing I do manually will get it working.
When I load (manually or automatically) the nfsd kernel module, I get:

nfs                   216360  0
nfs_acl                 2624  1 nfs
lockd                  53832  1 nfs
sunrpc                162876  5 nfs,nfs_acl,lockd

all loaded. I've never really messed with nfs-kernel-server, so I read up on
it. I see there are commands to push export changes out, but don't see
anything installed that will do it.

Reading up on other people's nfs work with Astlinux on the mailing list in
the past, it seems like others have gotten it working. I thought maybe the
beta, or current, release was lacking something, so I svn'd the entire trunk
and all branches out of the repository to see if I am missing something, or
can enable something in a custom image. But as far as I can tell, there was
never any apps available for nfsd, at least since 0.4. So I'm not sure how
/etc/init.d/nfsd ever worked.

Am I missing something, or has anyone else had any success doing what I am
trying to do? I've gotten everything else working except for the nfs stuff,
and would really like to get that up and running too. Worst case scenario, I
see there seems to be a samba server available in the trunk, so I might have
to play with that.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

-James