Thanks for the information. Did it ever officially support being utilized as an NFS server? I imagine since there is some legacy, albeit broken, nfsd stuff still present that at one time it would have supported it. Especially since there are NFS_EXPORT variables to define what you want to share. Though like I said earlier, I couldn't find anything in the svn repository going back to 0.4 that directly supported it. And based on the included nfsd init scripts, assume it wasn't a kernel module.

In any case, I was able to setup a build environment for my via system and built the 0.7 branch including samba support. Outside of having to install about two dozen packages to get it working (and having issues with 'at' and 'zabbix' for some reason, and being forced to exclude them in the end), got everything working. Not wanting to mess with loading a new full custom image right away, I copied over the smbd, nmbd and samba client utilities and wrote up an smbd.conf file for my existing beta 0.7 system. A few tweaks and I got everything up and running. Was able to successfully share /mnt/usb with read/write access. Transfered over a 700MB file at about 4.5MBps. Not too shabby for samba. So now I can have my astlinux box serve as a NAS device too!

-James