On Fri, Apr 23, 2010 at 10:44 AM, Philip Prindeville <
philipp_s...@redfish-solutions.com> wrote:

> >> Thanks for the help thus far. I've finally made the corrections you
> >> pointed out, and the box comes up with the module loaded, and seems to
> >> be right... but I'm not able to make a connection to the box
> >> wirelessly.
> >>
> >> AP0="wlan0:sunflower:11:br0:wpa2:password:hidden,rekey"
> >>
> >> above is what I have in user.conf. I understand that this means that
> >> the SSID is "sunflower", operating on channel 11, bridge 0 (which in
> >> this situation is "eth1 ap0"), wpa2 is the security type/protocol,
> >> "password" is the password, and "hidden" means to hide the SSID...
> >> don't know about "rekey".
> >>

> > Rekey means to force periodic rekeying of all stations, so that they are
> > less susceptible to a brute-force decryption attack.
> >

> >> Can someone confirm the above, and provide the appropreate option
> >> alternatives (or where/how to find them)?
> >>

> > Start by turning off "hidden" and see if the network is visible.
> >
> > Also, try "wpa" instead of "wpa2".  There's a lot of equipment out there
> > that still doesn't implement WPA2 correctly (even though WPA was found
> > to be "weak" over 5 years ago).
> >
> > Worst case, try "wep" and see if that works.  If it does, revert back to
> > wpa or wpa and go from there.
> >

> >> I have looked at the "iw" command, and read online some usage
> >> examples, but none seemed to yield anything useful.
> >>
> >> Thanks again,
> >>
> >> John R
> >>

> > Last case, kill off hostapd manually, and try running it by hand:
> >
> > hostapd -dddd -K -t /tmp/etc/hostapd.conf
> >
> > and look through that.
> >

> Hadn't heard back, so everything must be working now...

Sorry, started playing with.... uhhh working on, my net5501 box. The net4801
is the one with the wifi card. I'll check it out and let you know.

Before you commented, I did delete the "hidden,rekey" part of the config,
and I did see the SSID broadcast. I still could not connect, so I expect it
is as you say, something to do with wpa vs wpa2. I'll check it out and let
you know.

John R.