Hello!

On Fri, 2007-11-30 at 09:56 +0530, Jagadish wrote:
> Hi,
>
>         I am new to ath5k mailing list. I downloaded wireless-2.6 git
> repository. I compiled the wireless-2.6 kernel(which is 2.6.24-rc3). But
> I am unable to boot with this kernel. I am getting the following error
> while booting.
>
> "Waiting for device /dev/sda1 to appear: not found exiting."
> After this I am getting a shell prompt which has minimal commands and
> temporary file system.

This problem has nothing to do with ath5k.  Your kernel is not
configured correctly for your hardware.  Most likely, you didn't enable
the driver for your disk controller.  Or maybe you enabled CONFIG_IDE
instead of CONFIG_ATA, so that your hard drive appears as /dev/hda, but
the startup scripts expect /dev/sda.  Or maybe you compiled the driver
as a module, but it wasn't copied to the initial ramdrive.

> All this effort is to test ath5k driver. Am I going in correct
> procedure? If not please suggest me how to install ath5k driver and test
> it. My current kernel version is 2.6.16.

That's a very old kernel that won't be supported by the compat-wireless
package, so perhaps you should upgrade anyway.  Check if your distro
offers kernel updates.  Distribution kernels are made to work on a wide
variety of hardware.

Or fix the kernel you are compiling.  But you need to ask questions in
the right places and with sufficient context.

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin