Hi All,

   HAL code a mess.... Hmmm explains a LOT of things to me. My brand new
EeePC associates with the open-mesh.com Meraki Mini node but sometimes
won't connect. On some powerups it does 'work', but it dies after a while.

   And nothing I can do on either end seems to help??!! So Realtek doesn't
talk reliably to Atheros.... If I could just tell each Wifi to play
dumb....

   I remember that the early versions of MIT roofnet had these sorts of
problems. Then a "special" version of the Atheros driver appeared. MUCH
smaller and it ONLY sent and received RAW packets. I assume whomever did
that mod had sources or a good reverse compiler. We could REALLY use a
good reverse compiler.

   Just send and receive RAW packets; now that would be a REALLY NICE
feature to have in ANY new 'drivers' from whichever manufacturer. Get the
bit transport working reliably before providing 'clever' features and
modes and proprietary protocol extensions!

   And have a "dumb" mode in the driver. i.e.- 1 Mbit mode ONLY. So at
least something will work reliably.

   Very glad to see this discussion :). And it sounds like Atheros MAY be
the manufacturer of choice in the near future?

   warm regards from cold NH,
   John