Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 21, 2009 at 2:14 PM, Lukáš Turek <8...@praha12.net> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> it seems Ath5k is missing a Madwifi feature that is essential for our
>> long-distance links: setting ACK timeout value based on the link distance.
>>
>> I found a function ath5k_hw_set_ack_timeout, but it't not called from
>> anywhere. So only the most low-level part is there, the rest and the whole
>> userspace API is missing.
>>
>> What's the best way to add it? I thought about adding it to iw, like
>> "iw phy0 set acktimeout", but it would require a change on many layers
>> (iw, nl80211, mac80211 and finally ath5k).
>>
>> Do you think such changes would be accepted?
>
> No, not all hardware can change this, we also don't want to clobber iw
> with hw specific knobs.
Actually a lot of hw can set this, just the drivers haven't implemented
it yet. I know that at least Atheros, Broadcom and Ralink hw can set
this, so I think we should have an API for nl80211 with iw support.
It could be easily exposed by making it possible to change the Coverage
Class in the Country IE, which contains an 'index into air propagation
time'.

- Felix