On Sun, Nov 22, 2009 at 11:45:27PM -0800, Holger Schurig wrote:
> On Sunday 22 November 2009 01:36:43 Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:
> > No, not all hardware can change this, we also don't want to
> > clobber iw with hw specific knobs.
>
> I see it differently. Debugfs is for debugging, not for API.

Well sure.

> If you'd use debugfs for it, then you'd force every embedded
> developer to compile debugfs into the kernel. Ugly.

Agreed.

> Better IMHO is a module parameter if only one hardware / driver
> supports this.

Please no, no module parameters!

> Or really go the way via iw, nl80211, cfg80211
> etc if several drivers support this feature (now or in future).

nl80211 is really where things should be developed first if we can
find a common ground amogst drivers and if there indeed a good
use to support a knob.

> That way we'll also have consistency between feature setup, even
> if you use different hardware.

Sure but debugfs is still a good place to put a knob if you want
it accepted seen without much effort and would give some users
immediate access to it.

Once something gets ironed out through nl80211 we could consider
adding a configfs tree for the nl80211 knobs we can expose through
a filesystem. I had worked on one way back to add first the country
selection but we determined it would be better to first do stuff
through netlink (nl80211) than to put effort and support a file
system approach. If we can somehow automatically expose the nl80211
command set through configs it would be even nicer but that would
require a lot of work.

Anyway -- IMHO configs would be the "API" way to define something properly
for through a filesystem for the wireless subsystem. It is questionable
though whether a configs solution would provide any size benefit over
supporting nl80211 and compiling your own libnl (which I know Felix
even had some small port of it).

So for now I think nl80211 + debugfs are more than enough, if you want more
I'd suggest a configfs interface but don't think that'll buy you much but
an API and if you're trying to define something through configfs it likely
should be exposed through nl80211 anyway.

  Luis