On Sunday, February 6, 2005, at 09:35 AM, Sam Ruby wrote:
Graham wrote:
On 6 Feb 2005, at 3:39 pm, Sam Ruby wrote:
If you produce feeds that contain multiple entries with the same id, there will be people who misunderstand such documents.

I do believe that there needs to be some way to say "this is not a feed, but an archive".
Solution:
A new atom:archive top level element with normal head and entry children. Difference is multiple instances of entries are allowed with the same id. Each is distinguished by a new atom:version date, that has no semantics other than determining which instance is the newest. Meanwhile, atom:version and multiple instances are explicitly banned from atom:feed.
?

Works for me.

Presumably, atom:entry elements can have at most one atom:version child element. But, are atom:version elements be required in atom:archives?

Okay, so we are punting on defining a way to archive the changing state of feed/head.

Making something like the above semi-concrete:

<archive>
        <head>
        </head>
        <entry>
                <id revision="3">foo:bar/a</id>
        </entry>
        <entry>
                <id revision="2">foo:bar/a</id>
        </entry>
        <entry>
                <id revision="1">foo:bar/a</id>
        </entry>
</archive>

...where @revision is a number whose only requirement is that the number for a later revision be greater than the number for an earlier revision, but skipping numbers is allowed.

We're at the deadline for paces. Someone who wants something like this should write one today.