On 21/5/05 4:30 PM, "Bob Wyman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> I think the WG basically decided to punt on the DOS scenario. -Tim
> I believe you are correct in describing the WG's unfortunate
> disposition towards this issue. (Naturally, I object...) In any case, given
> that a significant DOS attack has been identified -- yet not addressed -- I
> think it would be both wise and appropriate to provide text in a Security
> Concerns section that describes the vulnerability of systems that rely on
> Atom documents to this particular attack.

+1 to putting something into Security Concerns.

I'm inclined to think the DOS problem is peculiar to super-aggregators - if
any of the publishers of the feeds I've individually subscribed to and
actively monitor/read were to wake up one day and decide to be a bad actor,
I'm sure to notice something wacky and take action (excoriate them on a
blog, unsubscribe, etc).

In addition to the DOS problem, I believe there are other issues inimical to
super-aggregators, especially those that re-publish. Mostly to do with
tracking provenance, enveloping and attribution of mid-stream meta-data or
meta-content, and so on. It deserves a deeper treatment, but not in the Atom
1.0 core spec.

e.