On 5/24/05, Graham <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On 24 May 2005, at 5:44 pm, Robert Sayre wrote:
>
> > FYI:
> > http://www.imc.org/atom-syntax/mail-archive/msg11433.html
> >
> > "But if I encounter a <link> element that's weirdly non-empty and
> > contains markup from some other namespace, that's the kind of
> > situation you're talking about. I think it would be OK to leave
> > behavior undefined as you say."
>
> I'm not sure I object to it in principle, though I think it's a weird
> place for someone to put extentsions, but I object to it being
> characterised as an editorial change.

Well, that's how the reviewer felt, and I though it was a super minor
change. Also, I observe that more than 3 or 4 WG members have
expressed a desire to extend it that way. I can't think of a problem
with that, though I would surely ignore them when processing a link
element.

> I also think removing that piece of text makes it unclear that the
> element is normally empty.

I don't think so. There's an example just below, in 4.2.9.2. We could
show some more examples. The other element with no defined content is
atom:category. Its RNC illustration also shows it as empty, but the
text doesn't call it an "empty element."

Robert Sayre