* Sjoerd Visscher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [2005-07-18 11:50]:
> Yes, your <link href="" /> resolves to
> http://www.tbray.org/ongoing/ But if you say "follow that link"
> in a program with same-document references support, it will
> say: "Ok, the link points to http://www.tbray.org/ongoing/, and
> the base URI is http://www.tbray.org/ongoing/ as well, so I
> have to return the current document instead of doing a new
> request."

He is correct, Tim. The base URI means “the URL where this
document was found,” not “the prefix for any enclosed relative
links.” I don’t see how RFC3986 can be read any other way.

Since <http://www.tbray.org/ongoing/ongoing.atom> is certainly
not found at <http://www.tbray.org/ongoing/>, the xml:base should
not say it is. Using <When/200x/2005/07/14/Atom-1.0> as the base
URI for just the respective entry, on the premise that its
content “originated” from the document in that location, seems
plausible – as long as you are fine with your alternate link
being considered a same-document reference. All else seems like
abuse of xml:base for accidental effects.

So it would be

    <feed xmlns='http://www.w3.org/2005/Atom'
          xml:base='http://www.tbray.org/ongoing/ongoing.atom'
          xml:lang='en-us'>
    <title>ongoing</title>
    <link href='./' />
    <link rel='self' href='' />
    <entry xml:base='When/200x/2005/07/14/Atom-1.0'>

And while this is highly subjective, to me that seems more
logical too.

If we wanted to avoid this, we should have added language to the
spec that atom:[EMAIL PROTECTED]'alternate'] should never be considered
a same-document reference, maybe.