Robert Sayre wrote:

> For me, the most disturbing aspect of this debate is that any
> resolution will provide very, very little interoperability gain. URIs,
> like XML Elements, cannot begin or end with whitespace. I don't
> believe it's worth mentioning in the spec, and I think we're off in
> the weeds. That said, I certainly wouldn't object to any text warning
> people not to do it, or explicitly mentioning that you have to call
> the equivalent of String.trim().

I respectfully disagree. After a day's worth of posting, no-one here has
been able to present a compelling argument one way or another as to whether

<atom:id>
  urn:example.org
<atom:id>

is illegal and if so, how software should behave in the light of that.
Mentioning things like this the why Atom has to exist at all, imvho.

cheers
Bill