There are no wildcards in /robots.txt, only path prefixes and user-agent
names. There is one special user-agent, "*", which means "all".
I can't think of any good reason to always ignore the disallows for *.

I guess it is OK to implement the parts of a spec that you want.
Just don't answer "yes" when someone asks if you honor robots.txt.

A lot of spiders allow the admin to override /robots.txt for specific
sites, or better, for specific URLs.

wunder

--
Walter Underwood