The approach I took in -04 was to say that the pseudo-ordering introduced by the mechanism was ONLY meaningful for the purposes of reconstituting the feed; it's still up to the feed itself to determine what the ordering of entries means (or doesn't). That avoids a lot of problems, although it does require some careful wording.

Also -- I'd think that the "last" link is already covered by "self," no? If not, there's some pretty serious confusion about what 'self' means.