"Managing Feed State" was a placeholder I put in the original Atom spec draft <http://www.mnot.net/drafts/draft-nottingham-atom- format-00.html#rfc.section.4> for just this kind of discussion. The WG couldn't come to a consensus on a mechanism (my proposal was <http://www.intertwingly.net/wiki/pie/PaceFeedState>), so we removed that section (earlier this year, IIRC).