On Oct 14, 2005, at 11:28 AM, Thomas Broyer wrote:
Mark Nottingham wrote:
How about:

<atom:link rel="subscription" href="..."/>

?

I always thought this was the role of @rel="self" to give the URI you should subscribe to, though re-reading the -11 it deals with "a resource equivalent to the containing element".
That's what some of us wanted it to be and thought it was intended to be. The language that made it into the spec certainly falls short of expressing what was in PaceFeedLink, which is the proposal that added @rel="self" [1].

1. Isn't "a resource equivalent to the containing element" the same as "an alternate version of the resource described by the containing element"?
That's how I would read that language knowing nothing of the history of that part of the spec. I think some people intended "equivalent" to mean "it may not be a different copy of the same bits, but whatever it is, it contains the same bits" (or at least the same code points, if it happens to be transcoded).

2. Is the answer to 1. is no then what does "a resource equivalent …" mean? Is it really different than "the URI you should subscribe to" (at least if @type="application/atom+xml")?
I think what some people want that to mean is "here's a place you could get the feed, but I'm not making any assertions regarding whether it's preferable to get it from there or somewhere else."

[1] http://www.imc.org/atom-syntax/mail-archive/msg15062.html