Aristotle,

I'm not 100% happy with it yet so it may change at least one more time.
 But I did want to get this out and in front of y'all to get initial
reactions.

I'll go ahead and make the ref attribute optional.  Regarding the ref
vs. href, issue, I really want to discourage client implementors from
using the thr:replies as a link to the comment feed.  Having and href
attribute in there is inviting headaches.  Suggestions on possible ways
of wording the spec / attribute naming / etc would be greatly appreciated.

- James