It is both a feed issue and a protocol issue because of section 7 in
the APP draft.  The APP draft puts forth category documents where I
think there are three concerns: 1) the specification of the category
element (overlap issue), 2) how could SKOS be used as a possible
alternative to category documents, 3) scalability issues with the
specification of category documents.

1) Because category documents reuse the Atom syntax for the category
element, this becomes an overlap issue between Atom syntax and Atom
protocol.

2) It would be an ideal convergence between Atom and SKOS to be able
to use APP to CRUD (Create, Read, Update, Delete) SKOS concept schemes
and concepts in an APP server.  Or for that matter, other controlled
vocabulary XML grammars such as MARC-XML and Zthes.  Providing a
generalized solution would plug multiple communities into APP.

3) The current specification of the category document doesn't scale
since it appears to me that this is one document in the APP server.
Lets just say you are dealing with a folksonomy of tags from say
Flickr.  There may be several thousand categories, if not several
hundred thousand.  It is doubtful that an APP server could return
such a document without HTTP timing out the request.  For controlled
vocabularies such as LCSH and MeSH there are about 300,000 and 500,000
categories respectively.  Just create a simple category document and
copy and paste a single category element 500,000 times and look at the
size of the category document.  It is just not going to be returned
by any HTTP server.

As a side note, it seems to me that APP could be used to access and
maintain controlled vocabularies in SKOS, MARC-XML, Zthes, etc.
Basically APP provides collections of resources.  There is a direct
analogy in SKOS where a controlled vocabulary in SKOS contains a
collection of skos:Concept resources.

If I understand these concepts correctly, then each skos:Concept
could be stored within an app:collection.  The same would be true
for each skos:ConceptScheme associated with a controlled vocabulary.
The app:collection for both skos:Concept and skos:ConceptScheme
would comprise an app:workspace.  There could be multiple
app:collection containing skos:Concept in an app:workspace.

To draw an analogy to the DDC (Dewey Decimal Classification, another
controlled vocabulary), each app:collection containing skos:Concept
would represent the concepts found in a single edition of the DDC.
Each app:workspace represents a complete controlled vocabulary.  This
means that a single APP server, app:service, could access and maintain
multiple controlled vocabularies.  Given this mapping, it seems to me
that APP could replace the SKOS API and may be a better alternative to
library centric protocols such as ADL Thesaurus protocol, OpenURL, SRU
and SRU Record Update.

The current Atom category element is just another instance of an item
in an app:collection.  Thus a category document could be used to point
to the individual concepts in an app:collection rather than embedding
the category elements inside the category document.  Using this approach
any XML grammar, Atom, MARC-XML, SKOS, Zthes, etc., could be used.

> > > 2006/11/1, Houghton,Andrew:

> > > <category
> > >   scheme="http://my.scheme.net/my-vocabulary/";
> > >   term="http://my.concept.net/my-vocabulary/13745";
> > >   label="cats"
> > >   />
> >
> > Thomas, I don't think that this is a natural reading of
> "term" in the
> > atom syntax list.

I agree that this is not natural since term is not specified as a URI,
per my reading of the draft, and gets back to my point that you can
smush stuff in these attributes, but that may not be the smartest thing
to do in the long term.

BTW, generally I prefer not to cross post, this discussion is now
spread across three lists... please confine the discussion to the
Atom protocol list so people can get the complete thread rather than
bits and pieces.

Thanks, Andy.