In general, I think the latest version of James Snell's license ID [1] is
much better than earlier versions. I am particularly pleased that this draft
only speaks of license "grants." I remain, as always, opposed to anything
that would encourage people to attempt to restrict the implied license to
syndicate. I do, however, have a few small issues. The text on "inheritance"
is, I think, almost correct in this draft however, as written it seems to
create a risk of the incorrect granting of rights as well as unfortunate
loss or decay of grants when entries are copied between feeds.

The current draft states: (focus on the underlined bits. The first
underlined sentence is too restrictive, the second too inclusive.)

2.3. Inherited Licenses
The license on a feed MAY be inherited by entries. Generally, a more
specific license overrides the less specific license. More specifically,
if an entry has any license link relations at all, including the
"undefined" license, it does not inherit the license of
the feed. If an entry has no license link relations, it does inherit the
license of its parent feed(s). Since an entry may appear in multiple
feeds, it may inherit multiple licenses. This is equivalent to stating
multiple licenses on the entry itself.

I am concerned that some readers who are not intimately familiar with
RFC4287 may not understand that entries which contain atom:source elements
do NOT inherit feed metadata from the feeds in which they are found. The
text of the current draft seems to override this constraint on inheritance.
Thus, I propose the following new wording for the third and fourth sentences
in the first paragraph of section 2.3 (the one's quoted and underlined
above):

More specifically, if an entry has any license link relations at all,
including the "undefined" license, [or, if the entry contains an
atom:source element,] it does not inherit the license of the feed. If an
entry has no license link relations[, and contains no atom:source
element,] it does inherit the license of its parent feed(s).

Additionally, I believe that this draft should align with the handling of
atom:rights defined in section 4.2.11 of RFC4287 by adding the following
text at some appropriate location:

If an atom:entry which does not contain an atom:source is copied from one
feed into another feed then if the feed into which it is copied contains a
license, an atom:source element SHOULD be added to the copied entry. If a
source feed contains a license, that license SHOULD be preserved in an
atom:source element added to any entries copied from the source feed which
do not already contain atom:source elements.

The first constraint is necessary to ensure that the act of copying entries
does not result in rights being granted by the copyist even though those
rights were were not granted by the entry's author. The second constraint
helps to prevent the "loss" or "decay" of rights as things are copied from
feeds with licenses that grant rights into feeds that contain no or lesser
grants.

I realize that clarifying these constraints on inheritance allows for at
least one "odd" result. That is, I might have a feed which contains entries
whose atom:source elements declare license grants that differ greatly from
what is seen in the feed's metadata even though all those entries claim the
enclosing feed as their "source." This actually makes a good bit more sense
than it might seem to at first glance. The reason for this is that the
rights granted for entries added to a feed can change over time even though
changes to the feed's default rights may not impact previously created
entries. Thus, a feed might have granted liberal rights when an entry was
first created but might not offer the same grants when the entry was
updated. The author should be able to maintain with the entry the rights
that were originally granted (or not granted) rather than being forced to
update the rights in order to do something as simple as a spelling
correction. (Yes, I realize that the author could, in some cases, simply
attach the old rights to the updated entry rather than using an atom:source
which contains the same information. However, this can get messy in some
situations and causes us to lose some information about the source of the
license grants -- it may be useful in some cases to distinguish between
licenses granted in feed metadata and those granted in entry metadata.
Forcing attachment of licenses to entries would also require using the
"undefined" license in more cases than is desirable.)

I've got a few other comments -- destined for other messages. Nonetheless,
this draft is looking much better than earlier drafts.

bob wyman

[1]
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-snell-atompub-feed-license-10.txt