On 1/14/07, David Powell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:>Atom doesn't
describe the processing model of Atom
documents explicitly enough for me to infer much about
the semantics of atom:source. ...
Needing to [use atom:source] is a good sign that you
are abusing feed elements to carry entry metadata
though.

There are quite a few very common, non-abusive reasons for using
atom:source. For instance, the RFC clearly discusses the case where an entry
is copied from one feed document into another and needs to maintain its
association with the feed metadata of the source feed. There is also the
question of signatures....

In any case, I read the Atom spec as clearly intending that an entry with an
atom:source element can be semantically equivalent to a single entry feed
document whose feed meta-data is equivelant to that contained in the entry's
atom:source. If this isn't what appears to be written, then I suggest that
it is a case of non-optimal drafting and the history of this group should be
consulted to clarify the intent. I explained why entries with source needed
to be equivelant to single entry feeds when I made the original proposal for
atom:source at the first Atom community meeting at Sun in June of 2004 and I
made it continuously throughout the process of drafting the RFC. This is
also one of the many reasons why Atom "assigns no significance to the order
of atom:entry elements within the feed." The meaning of an entry derives
only from data which is either encoded within it or which is recorded as
part of the feed metadata associated with the entry. That association is
either by containment within a feed document or, more strongly, by
encapsulating the feed metadata within the entry. This equivelance property
is essential in order to make aggregated/synthetic feeds work and it is
necessary to make licensing work properly. (Yes, there were some of us
thinking about licensing long before James made his proposal...) Thus, the
"processing model" for an entry with an atom:source is just as precisely
described as the processing model for a single entry feed document...

bob wyman