Re: what was the first audiogame you ever played?

[[wow]] Yukio, didn't know  audiogames were so known about in Japan  that a teacher would recommend them, needless to say it's not the same over here big_smile.

Myself, I have limited vision so played graphical games all my life from the age of four. i could read the text, but often in the  contrast was good and if menues had highlighting I  could work out what was going on, distinguish my character from the background and work out enimy position, heck, even in the 16 bit  era I could play a lot of newly released games, although I did always want to play rpgs and other complex games.

My favourites were always  those with exploration and story, starting with rurican on the Amigar (especially for the music), and going on to games like Metroid, the mega man x games on the snes,  Super castlevania or First Samurai. I also played b eat em ups (I played both original mk and street fighter 2 in the arcades and on the snes), and some puzzle games like  bomberman, as well as harder, more arcade like games like the Marrio series, although it was the exploration  action platformers  such as mega man x that  were my absolute favourites.

Unfortunately  though, the 32 bit era and the production of 3D games made playing most games near  impossible since the spacial relations were just too complex, it was no longer possible to  distinguish my character,  the surroundings and enemies in the same way. I could still of course play beatemups, but  that was  not  near enough.

in 2003, just after I'd been at university, I found a braille magazine article talking about online games, and I found the whitestick.co.uk site. I played a lot of online games and textual games, such as  legend of the green dragon, ashes of angels and sryth, (I was one of the original  people who played the free version before there was a  paid game). I had seen the page listing offline games and read a little about some audio games (I remember reading the galaxy ranger description), but I assumed that they must be symplistic or reduced in scope, and not near what I had experienced with  graphical games.

While I admit I was wrong on this point, in fairness remember that a lot of stuff aimed at blind people in this country  has a very condescending edge.

In late 2005 On the Sryth forums, I discussed games with bryan P, and mentioned my love of exploration. he showed  me the sarah developement  page over at pcs, and mentioned shades of doom as a game with a huge area to explore. I downloaded the thing and was absolutely hooked,  since it let me play a type of game I'd never tried before, a first person shooter. I think had shades not been my first game, had I first played a  card game or a simple arcade game I might well have not continued, but after  trying shades I ran across audiogames.net, and  was highly interested to see what else was  available.

Since at that point I pretty much had just finished my masters but not started anything further, I spent all of 2006 trying audio games out one after another. Some I liked, some I didn't, but even games like the bsc ones impressed me with sound quality,. I of course also posted on the forum, and  in 2007 Sander and richard asked  myself and a few other members to start help by writing news posts, ---- and the rest as they say is history! big_smile.

Btw, I do also still  play graphical games, particularly a very good turrican remake for windows, albeit I probably spend more time on audio games, web games and the like (partly for the purposes of the db).

  • Re: [A... AudioGames.net Forum — General Game Discussion: gamefighter
  • Re: [A... AudioGames.net Forum — General Game Discussion: pelantas
  • Re: [A... AudioGames.net Forum — General Game Discussion: gamefighter
  • Re: [A... AudioGames.net Forum — General Game Discussion: jack
  • Re: [A... AudioGames.net Forum — General Game Discussion: glamorama28
  • Re: [A... AudioGames.net Forum — General Game Discussion: fatih
  • Re: [A... AudioGames.net Forum — General Game Discussion: yukionozawa
  • Re: [A... AudioGames.net Forum — General Game Discussion: yukionozawa
  • Re: [A... AudioGames.net Forum — General Game Discussion: yukionozawa
  • Re: [A... AudioGames.net Forum — General Game Discussion: yukionozawa
  • Re: [A... AudioGames.net Forum — General Game Discussion: Dark
  • Re: [A... AudioGames.net Forum — General Game Discussion: harrylst
  • Re: [A... AudioGames.net Forum — General Game Discussion: pelantas
  • Re: [A... AudioGames.net Forum — General Game Discussion: Dark
  • Re: [A... AudioGames.net Forum — General Game Discussion: Sokun Prom Vireak
  • Re: [A... AudioGames.net Forum — General Game Discussion: Dark
  • Re: [A... AudioGames.net Forum — General Game Discussion: mikerschs2
  • Re: [A... AudioGames.net Forum — General Game Discussion: pitermach
  • Re: [A... AudioGames.net Forum — General Game Discussion: arjan
  • Re: [A... AudioGames.net Forum — General Game Discussion: Aminiel
  • Re: [A... AudioGames.net Forum — General Game Discussion: Aminiel